Wednesday 27 July 2011

Another Tease

OK, something a bit different this time: A couple of photos of something that, arguably, shouldn't be here. Something very old (and yet, as will be demonstrated when I write it up fully, perfectly preserved). Something I might never have owned, were it not for an amazing coincidence... Stand by for a 'shock'...



Tandy - AKA Radio Shack - sold several products named 'Galactic Man' over the years, all of them knockoffs of other companies' products (hell, one of them was very obviously RoboCop)... but that's just the way things were back then... And, let's face it, Hasbro obtained Roadbuster, Whirl, Jetfire and Shockwave from third parties, so it seems things were played pretty fast and loose when it came to transforming robots and the corresponding Intellectual Property rights...

I saw this incarnation of Galactic Man in Tandy's catalogue one year, and immediately pestered my folks to either buy one for me, or take me to the nearest Tandy (Wembley - sadly no more) so I could buy one myself. Then, when I went into school, I told all my friends what I'd got, and where I'd got it...

What's really funny about this toy is that it's a 2-tone grey/silver version of a G1 mold that Hasbro release in purple... And the same character appeared in the most recent TransFormers movie as largely grey/silver, while the toy was molded in shades of purple. Weird.

Write-up soon... Probably...

No comments:

Post a Comment