Monday 27 July 2020

Making some space...

After a lot of reflection, I've decided to put some of the TransFormers toys in my collection up onto eBay.

It's going to be a slow process, as I'm reluctant to part with any of it, but the fact remains that I've left a significant number of figures in storage for years now, because I just don't have enough display space for everything. There's a bit of a tradition in my family that, if something goes into storage and isn't sought out for a certain number of years, it can be disposed of as appropriate. There's also the KonMari Method, of which my girlfriend is a strong proponent, and which aims to rid one of things that do not 'spark joy'. These will be the first to go, as I sort out the necessary packaging.

Being a UK-based TransFormers collector, my initial plan is to only despatch within the UK, particularly when I get to the handful of BotCon or TransFormers Collectors' Club exclusives I'm inclined to part with. However, I will look into international despatch options eventually, though I feel it would be a shame for some of the exclusives to end up being shipped back over to the US, for example.

I've flagged a number of toys from the movie lines, Classics, Beast Wars, Robot Masters, and even some Third Party items, but I'm starting with mostly small stuff out of convenience... and also because my hoarder mentality actually makes the process of parting with my toys surprisingly difficult.

An interesting byproduct of this move is that I've recently been taking photos of some of the older oddities in my collection - such as the Real Gear toys that came out alongside the first live action movie's toyline - which I had thusfar neglected to photograph. I will be aiming to write about such toys before I try to sell them off as a means of ensuring that I really do want to try to sell them off.

There's not much there right now, but I'll be adding stuff over the coming weeks (or months, knowing me). Take a look at what's currently on offer...

I'm still debating whether or not to even try selling my decapitated Beast Muscle Leonidas... That figure pretty much does the opposite of 'sparking joy' but, given how fragile it is, I'm not sure it's worth bothering...

...And it might be more cathartic to just take a hammer to it and chuck away the pieces.

Also, hypothetically, does anyone know how to pitch the TFCC Seacons set from 2008, price-wise? I mean, it's a cool set... but the QC was atrocious.

Addendum 29/7/20: Disappointingly, one of the first Club exclusives I put up online got snapped up by an international reseller based quite close to me... I may have to rethink how I handle exclusives from here on.

2 comments:

  1. I'm in the US, so I won't be doing any buying obviously, but I could try for some advice. I would advise trying to sell Leonidas for parts. I know that if I had the chance to get a junker Leonidas to use for customs I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Twilight_Phantom - that's great advice, and an option I hadn't considered... Literally everything but the head/neck is still intact, so there should be good mileage in it... As far as the plastic quality allows. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete